How has it taken us three years to get to this point and what underlying ideology has motivated our politicians to lead us to this point i history? Wharever position we are in by the time of this talk in July, this session will attempt to unpick how we got here and what might lie ahead for us as a nationand as individuals and communities within that nation. It should be interesting and lively!
Jeffrey Henderson is Professor Emeritus of International Development at the University of Bristol.
is a monthly gathering where expert speakers bring a mixed Headingley audience up to date on current issues in society. The speakers are often drawn from local university departments or similar organisations and their talks are followed by a series of comments and questions from the audience.
Talking Heads at HEART is an initiative between HDT and HEART. It benefits the community of Headingley and beyond and aims to stimulate, inform and enliven.
Recent topics include:
• The DUP and Britain’s Broken Politics – A Tangled Web
• Disability and Human Rights
• From Mao to Xi Jinping – Utopias and Purgatories in Modern China
• Unlocking Sustainable Cities
• Restorative Practice in Leeds
• Food inequality and food waste – what can be done?
• The Overdevelopment of London/Underdevelopment of Britain
• Climate Change
• The Brexit Crisis
• Understanding North Korea
• Leeds: Cradle for Innovation
• Have things got better for women?
• Understanding homelessness
• Social cohesion, resilience, and community mediation
• What does culture mean to Leeds?
• The housing crisis- and how people power can solve it
• Ethics in business,
• Can we solve poverty?
• Unemployment, jobs and new technology
We meet in HEART at 7.30 on the second Thursday of each month, except August – suggested donation £3-5.
After a [usually lively!] discussion on the issues raised people often repair to the HEART Cafe or local bar.
If you would like to be put on the mailing list and be kept informed of all upcoming topics contact: